Tuesday 9 June 2015

Design Report

Robert Wilkes – Unit 38 – rwunit38.blogspot.co.uk

WOMAD Festival Posters

I had decided to base the location of my posters in Alidade Australia an existing location for the festival. I wanted to use the iconic lion logo of WOMAD in both my posters as I thought it would help viewers will recognize what they are trying to advertise. Before making my posters I gather many different fonts that I felt would work with the WOMAD theme and ideology and created a series of colour boards that I felt that would work with WOMAD.

The first poster I feel I over edited and added to much colour, which is why I believe my second poster is much more effective. Like with a lot of my work the ‘simple is better rule’ applies after I removed a lot of elements when making the second posters I felt it looked more professional and worked much more effectively.

Mixed Media Collages

The two posters I have created both follow the sane theme of machine meets human. The first poster has a heart wired up to plastic pipes and gauges acting as a pump and the second one placing eyes within CCTV cameras. I fee that the different images in both collages work well with each other and are effectively blended.

To make the first collage I had taken images of plastic piping and used stock images of a heart and gauge’s as these were items I did not have access to. To make all the images work within each other I duplicated every image twice and applied the same layer blending options to each one from bottom to top Normal > Colour burn > Overlay. By doing this all the images in the collage fitted together a little smoother with only a few edges needing touching up with the Smudge tool. The Background was a paper texture I had scanned in and edited using the Curves tool. The last piece of editing I used the Eraser tool and lowered the opacity to fade out parts of the collage.

All the techniques I used on the first poster I repeated when constructing the second one to give both collages a matching look. I prefer my second poster as again I feel like it worked better and look more profession and well constructed.

No comments:

Post a Comment